I was at work one day and decided that there were so many things that happened in this job that I would like to share. There is so much more to the position of management then it would seem. I see a lot and would never disclose anything private but it is so wonderful what I do that I want to blog about it. Sometimes it is sad what happens because people die in the buildings or move and you really miss them. Then again people are born in the buildings and it is very happy. Each apartment is its own universe multiplied numerous times depending on how many apartments are in the building, and if you multiply that by how many buildings there are, it really adds up to a lot of stories. Some of it you just could never make up as the truth is stranger than fiction. Some of the greatest people and worst people I have ever met have been through this job. It is fun to get a big celebrity living in the building as this can make for some crazy stories. Or the infamous ones. You may find that the biggest story in the news is something you are dealing with as the person involved is someone in a building you manage.
The superintendents in NYC are an amazing group of mostly men who really contribute a lot to the welfare of a building and to the city. Talk about first responders. They are there for the floods, hurricanes, earthquakes and fires. You and your building are in their hands. A super can make or break a building. They are the pulse of a building and have a great influence over what can occur there. They are made up of people from all over the world. You really have to know how to deal with different cultures. The doorman, handymen and porters are equally as diversified. They have one of the strongest unions and make far more in their positions than anywhere else in the country for the same jobs. The Union representatives are a bunch of interesting characters as well. I will be posting each week and expanding on the generalities I have mentioned here and a whole lot more that would take hours to tell. I welcome questions and comments.
No comments:
Post a Comment